Building a PMO
Project management has become the business world’s most sought–after skill set. As business becomes more complex, organizations are continually challenged to initiate new projects and improve the processes that manage their projects. The Project Management Office (PMO) continues to be a growing trend in project management, as more and more organizations are recognizing the need for a centralized approach to implementing and managing projects. Effective PMOs come in varying shapes and sizes, from simple support offices to full centers of excellence.
Florida Atlantic University’s suite of advanced and for-PDU acquisition courses will provide certified project managers with the industry knowledge and methodology to stay abreast of current trends and techniques within the field and which can be immediately applied to any project. In addition, these programs support PMI®’s continuing certification requirement (CCR) and ensure that certified project managers are able to maintain Professional Development Units (PDUs) in an affordable and effective manner.
Building a Successful Project Management Office
Florida Atlantic University’s Building a Project Management Office is designed to equip organizations with the framework, knowledge and motivation needed to build a PMO that is right for your organization. Specific emphasis is put on the importance and benefits of aligning the PMO with strategic business objectives.
1. Defining the Project Management Office
- Characteristics, Features and Functions of a PMO
- PMO Models
- Gaining Executive Buy-in, Support and Commitment
- PMO Life Cycle
2. A Project Management Plan for PMO Implementation
- Environment Definitions
- Defining Implementation Scope
- PMIS Vendor Selection, Implementation and Integration
- Human Resource Requirements
- Managing the ‘PMO Implementation’ Project
- PMO Services and Communications
3. PMO Roll-out
- Managing Organizational Change
- Corporate Governance
- Meeting the Strategic Goals of the Organization
- Leadership Influence
4. PMO On-going Operations
- Monitor and Control
- PMO Quality Audits
- Maintaining and Recruiting Resources
Continuous Improvement Initiatives
Instructional Method and Format
- Taught by a PMP®-credentialed instructor
- Highly interactive, in-class, instructor-led program
- Utilizes using case studies, exercises, role-plays and discussion such that participants learn how to build a PMO and to identify appropriate leadership, management and control steps necessary to implement a PMO in any organization
Florida Atlantic University is a Registered Education Provider (R.E.P.)®, approved by the Project Management Institute (PMI).