Certificate in Healthcare Leadership
The health care environment is rapidly changing during this time of health reform. Both new and experienced healthcare managers and supervisors are required to be well informed about changes in health policy, manage and motivate a diverse staff, engage their patient populations and navigate a value-based reimbursement system. The curriculum for the Certificate in Healthcare Leadership at Florida Atlantic University has been designed by experts in healthcare administration, business and nursing to provide your leadership staff with cutting edge solutions to promote organizational success.
Program Sessions & Topics
Day 1: Mastering the Healthcare Manager Role - The Leader Within
- Leadership Practices Inventory (LPI) assessment
- Introduction to the Leadership Development Plan
- Project Overview
- The leadership challenge & LPI self-assessment
- The role and responsibilities of Leaders in today’s healthcare environment
- Ethical behavior and professional accountability
- The leader as a continuous learner
- Reflective leadership
- Working on and with interdisciplinary teams
- Dates: Dates: Oct. 10* – Oct. 31, 2018
- *Wed., Oct. 10/Thurs. Oct. 11 (Kickoff);
- Wed., Oct. 17, 24 & 31 (Sess. 3-5)
- Time: 8:30am – 4:30pm
- Hours: 35 Hours / 3.5 CEUs
- Sessions: 5
- Location: Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton Campus
- Fee: $1,995 - Includes materials, lunch and parking
Day 2: Communication and Collaboration in Leadership Roles
- DiSC assessment review
- Leaping the communication chasm
- Identifying the communication challenges in an organization
- Managing communications across generations
- Feedback is a Gift: Delivering crucial and constructive feedback
- Enhancing performance through positive feedback
- Understanding emotional intelligence and developing awareness for personal growth as a leader
- Understanding behavioral and communication styles through DiSC*
*All participants must complete the online DiSC assessment 7 days prior to class and bring a copy of their results to the class on Day 2.
Day 3: Financial Management - Managing the Business
- An overview of healthcare economics – new directions with health reform
- Basic financial concepts
- Developing and managing an operational budget
- Capital Budgeting
- Micro/Macro views
- Unit level budgeting
- Departmental level budgeting
Day 4: Human Resource Management
- HR basics
- Discrimination o Documentation
- Recruitment and retention of staff
- Competencies specific to healthcare
- Hiring for those competencies
- Behavioral Interviewing
- Performance management
- Performance evaluations
- Recognition and rewards
Day 5: Strategic Planning and Quality
- Decision making in leadership roles
- Thinking outside the box
- The role of the healthcare manager in strategic planning
- Managing quality and patient safety on nursing units
- Quality management tools
Post-Program Executive Coaching
- Participants will also receive a 1-hour executive coaching session (included) after the program has concluded. This session will explore the results of the LPI assessement and discuss next steps in the Personal Development Plan.
Instructional Method and Format
- Led by Healthcare and Leadership Experts and Executive Coaches;
Interdisciplinary cohort learning format;
- Focus on implementation and practice, with activities that will help participants self-assess, peer-assess, and readily apply what they have learned.
- Participants will also receive a 1-hour executive coaching session (included) after the program has concluded.
Certificate in Healthcare Leadership
phone: (561) 297-2366
map: BU 86 203
Florida Atlantic University is accredited by the Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI) as an Approved Provider.
All Leadership programs are eligible for re-certification credits by the HR Certification Institute.
Florida Atlantic University is accredited by the Project Management Institute (PMI) as a Registered Education Provider (R.E.P.).
Select Leadership programs are accredited by PMI and eligble for Professional Development Units (PDUs).