What can I do with my major?
Choosing a major is a very important step in your college career and knowing what you can with that major when you graduate should help you in your decision. Here are some key questions you should ask of yourself:
- What are the future job prospects in this major?
- What industry hires for this major?
- What skills outside of the classroom should I posses?
- Will I enjoy the jobs that are offered in this major?
There are a few things that you can do to determine the answer to these questions and more.
- Participate in as many internships as you can throughout your education. Internships offer you the opportunity to understand the industry you are considering while providing you with the practical experience necessary to obtain a full-time job when you graduate.
- Research your major – you can do this on-line and by talking to people in the industry. Ask tough questions and really listen to their answers. Your professors can also offer valuable information to help you.
- Get involved on campus – go to job fairs, corporate information sessions, presentations hosted by student organizations, and any other opportunity to learn more about the industry you are considering.
- Take advantage of the career testing offered by the career development center. The evaluation can identify your strengths and point you in the right direction.