Geopolitical Analysis Certificate
Florida Atlantic University’s Certificate in Geopolitical Analysis will provide business professionals with an understanding of Geopolitics as it relates to risk, opportunity and the business cycle.
Florida Atlantic University’s Certificate in Geopolitical Analysis will provide business professionals with an understanding of Geopolitics as it relates to risk, opportunity and the business cycle. The program will provide methods to assess the impact of geopolitical events on business continuity, supply chains and strategic planning, and tools to build and monitor geopolitical forecasts and scenarios to inform strategic decisions and contingency planning.
Participants who take the course will:
- Learn to use the 7 Pillars of Geopolitics, which include politics, economics, security, geography, history, society, and technology and better contextualize global events and understand their impact on business continuity. Ares of applicability include, but are not limited to, changing regulatory environments, trade patterns, supply chain disruptions, social instability and risks of conflict.
- Learn to build ground-up geopolitical assessments to enhance understanding of new markets or re-check assumptions about existing markets and supply nodes based on shifting political, social, economic or security dynamics.
- Learn to build geopolitical forecasts and scenarios that impact business continuity and opportunity, and how to establish a system to monitor for changes and mitigate paralysis from information volatility.
- Learn to apply tools from the intelligence analyst toolkit to assess information flows from outside and within organizations, and to enhance analysis of geopolitical events to highlight relevance for business operations, identify potential opportunity, and mitigate risk.
The course will draw on more than two decades of applying geopolitical analysis to business operations, and will be taught through a combination of interactive lectures, business case studies, and hands-on practicums.
Key course topics will include:
- Understanding Geopolitics for Business Continuity
- Building Foundational Assessments
- Forecasting and Scenarios for Strategic Planning and Risk Mitigation
- Tracking, Monitoring and Prioritizing Qualitative Information
- Intelligence Analyst's Toolkit for Business
- Integrating Geopolitical Analysis into Business Operations
The course seeks participants who serve in decision-making and analyst roles within global organizations and/or that are responsible for understanding how global events impact their organization’s operations and business continuity. Roles may include, but are not limited to:
- Corporate leadership
- Emerging Markets
- Enterprise Risk and Risk Management
- Government Affairs and Policy
- International Investments
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Political and Economic Analysts
- Supply Chain
- Trade Analysts
Rodger Baker leads Stratfor's strategic thinking on global issues and future trends. As the firm's senior analyst, Mr. Baker guides the company's analytical process, to include the development of international analyst teams to refine their understanding and application of Stratfor's proprietary methodology grounded in the study of applied geopolitics and intelligence analysis.
Mr. Baker is one of the world's leading experts on North Korea and has dedicated extended periods of time living and working in and around the Korean peninsula. He also spearheaded the firm's early forecasts on China, making Stratfor one of the first organizations to identify growing challenges to the Chinese economy contrary to widely accepted views at the time. His core emphasis is the multidisciplinary approach to geopolitics and the evolution of international relations to develop mid- and long-term forecasts to assist companies, governments and other globally engaged organizations make informed decisions.
Dr. Steven Smith has distinguished himself as an educator, entrepreneur, consultant and manager in his career. He has extensive corporate experience with Procter & Gamble and PepsiCo, Inc. in various engineering and management roles, working in the United States and internationally.
As a management consultant, Dr. Smith has worked for PA Consulting Group of London and the BTS Group of New York, where he provided advisory services to some of the world’s most successful companies. In his academic career, Dr. Smith has held faculty appointments at the University of New Orleans, Rutgers University, Columbia University, and has taught at the Federal University of Bahia in Brazil.
Format: Thurs./Friday./ Saturday
Dates: September 24 – 26, 2020
Time: 8:00am - 4:00pm
Hours: 21 Hours-/ 2.1 CEUs
Location: Live Virtual
Books and Materials: Stratfor The Intelligence Method and Stratfor Geological Basics