Geopolitical Analysis Certificate
Florida Atlantic University’s Certificate in Geopolitical Analysis provides business professionals with an understanding of Geopolitics as it relates to risk, opportunity and the business cycle.
Partnering with RANE a leader in geopolitical risk intelligence and expert network firm, Florida Atlantic University’s Certificate in Geopolitical Analysis will provide business professionals with an understanding of Geopolitics to better identify and plan for global risk versus opportunity in the business cycle. The program will provide methods to assess the impact of geopolitical events on business continuity, supply chains and strategic planning, and tools to build and monitor geopolitical forecasts and scenarios to inform strategic decisions and contingency planning. Areas of applicability include, but are not limited to, changing regulatory environments, trade patterns, supply chain disruptions, social instability and risks of conflict.
Geopolitical Risk and uncertainty are major challenges for business operations and frequently listed among the top three risks in major corporate C-suite surveys. Yet, companies find Geopolitical Risk difficult to fully understand and even more challenging to manage.
Why invest in mastering Geopolitical Analysis?
- Building a baseline geopolitical understanding and framework can help companies identify critical factors that shape the international business environment.
- Geopolitics can serve as a frame for mapping out plausible alternative futures, critical both for strategic planning and to rapidly identify the likely course of action and impacts of events.
- While businesses have grown adept at using quantitative information and data, geopolitical analysis provides a pathway to complement the quantitative with a better understanding of the qualitative and the unquantifiable.
- Geopolitics provides a mental framework for synthetic, multidisciplinary thought, valuable both in long-term strategic planning and in immediate crisis management.
Participants who take the course will:
- Learn to use the 7 Pillars of Geopolitics, which include politics, economics, security, geography, history, society, and technology and better contextualize global events and understand their impact on business continuity. Ares of applicability include, but are not limited to, changing regulatory environments, trade patterns, supply chain disruptions, social instability and risks of conflict.
- Learn to build ground-up geopolitical assessments to enhance understanding of new markets or re-check assumptions about existing markets and supply nodes based on shifting political, social, economic or security dynamics.
- Learn to build geopolitical forecasts and scenarios that impact business continuity and opportunity, and how to establish a system to monitor for changes and mitigate paralysis from information volatility.
- Learn to apply tools from the intelligence analyst toolkit to assess information flows from outside and within organizations, and to enhance analysis of geopolitical events to highlight relevance for business operations, identify potential opportunity, and mitigate risk.
The course draws on more than two decades of applying geopolitical analysis to business operations, and is taught through a combination of interactive lectures, business case studies, and hands-on practicums.
Key course topics include:
- Understanding Geopolitics for Business Continuity
- Building Foundational Assessments
- Forecasting and Scenarios for Strategic Planning and Risk Mitigation
- Tracking, Monitoring and Prioritizing Qualitative Information
- Intelligence Analyst's Toolkit for Business
- Integrating Geopolitical Analysis into Business Operations
The course seeks participants who serve in decision-making and analyst roles within global organizations and/or that are responsible for understanding how global events impact their organization’s operations and business continuity. Roles may include, but are not limited to:
- Corporate leadership
- Emerging Markets
- Enterprise Risk and Risk Management
- Government Affairs and Policy
- International Investments
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Political and Economic Analysts
- Supply Chain
- Trade Analysts
Rodger Baker leads RANE's strategic thinking on global issues and future trends. As the firm's senior analyst, Mr. Baker guides the company's analytical process, to include the development of international analyst teams to refine their understanding and application of RANE's proprietary methodology grounded in the study of applied geopolitics and intelligence analysis.
Mr. Baker is one of the world's leading experts on North Korea and has dedicated extended periods of time living and working in and around the Korean peninsula. He also spearheaded the firm's early forecasts on China, making RANE one of the first organizations to identify growing challenges to the Chinese economy contrary to widely accepted views at the time. His core emphasis is the multidisciplinary approach to geopolitics and the evolution of international relations to develop mid- and long-term forecasts to assist companies, governments and other globally engaged organizations make informed decisions.
Dr. Steven Smith has distinguished himself as an educator, entrepreneur, consultant and manager in his career. He has extensive corporate experience with Procter & Gamble and PepsiCo, Inc. in various engineering and management roles, working in the United States and internationally.
As a management consultant, Dr. Smith has worked for PA Consulting Group of London and the BTS Group of New York, where he provided advisory services to some of the world’s most successful companies. In his academic career, Dr. Smith has held faculty appointments at the University of New Orleans, Rutgers University, Columbia University, and has taught at the Federal University of Bahia in Brazil.
Format: Wed. / Thurs. / Fri. | Live Virtual or On-Campus
Dates: Aug. 10 – Aug. 12, 2022
Time: 8:00am - 4:00pm EST
Hours: 21 Hours / 2.1 CEUs
Location: BOCA RATON Campus or Live Virtual
Books and Materials: RANE The Intelligence Method and RANE Geopolitical Basics
**EARLY BIRD: Register and pay by Jul. 25, 2022 and pay only $2,250.00! Seats are limited.
Director - Safety, Security & Business Continuity
"This course shed new light on how to conduct a professional, objective Geopolitical Analysis. New insights, tools and material were shared which would be otherwise hard to come by, and which also helped stimulate a learning environment. The experience and skill set of the Instructors was also outstanding. Definitely one of the best Development programs I've ever attended."
Top Tier Impact Strategies
"Excellent course run by professionals in their field. If anyone is looking to understand how geopolitical analysis can be applied in the real world, this is the course to pursue."
Global Head of Regulatory & Public Policy
BDO GLOBAL OFFICE, BELGIUM
"The three-day course was inspirational and the instructors were consummate experts in their fields. I learned a lot from them and from the online-interaction with the other high-level participants about how to approach geopolitical analysis in a structured and consistent way relevant to modern business leaders' needs. I would highly recommend this excellent RANE/FAU course for all senior Government Affairs and Risk Management professionals with a global remit. A great investment in continued professional learning!"