Center for Services Marketing and Management
The Center for Services Marketing & Management at Florida Atlantic University was founded in 1991 with the mission of encouraging scholarly interest in the field of services marketing. The Center’s goals include knowledge development and knowledge dissemination in the fast-growing fields of services marketing and the management of customer service.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis, Survey of Current Business ( May 2011 p.59), service businesses contribute nearly three-fourths of the U.S. Gross Domestic Product. In FAU’s five county service area of Southeast Florida, service firms in industries such as health, tourism, restaurant and entertainment, finance, real estate, and transportation have especially contributed to economic development and high standards of customer service. Given this high presence of service businesses in the area, the Center for Services Marketing & Management’s mission is to be the leading academic and training center for the development and dissemination of knowledge in the field of services marketing. The Center’s current areas of focus include:
- Customer Relationship Management
- Customer Service Analysis and Delivery
- Services Design and Operations
- Services Delivery and Service Recovery
- Service Technologies
- Industry-Specific Service Requirements and Challenges
- Conceptualization and Delivery of Service Quality
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Services Marketing and Management
- Transnational Services Planning and Delivery
- Internet-Based Services
The Center is committed to encouraging academic research and scholarship in the field of services marketing and management. At the same time, the Center’s goals include educating FAU faculty and students on the various critical and topical issues in services marketing and management and serving the training and workforce development needs of area businesses.
The Center for Services Marketing & Management can be contacted at:
Department of Marketing
College of Business
FLORIDA ATLANTIC UNIVERSITY
777 Glades Road
Boca Raton, FL 33431
The Center’s Director can be contacted via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mission of the Center
The Center for Services Marketing & Management will engage in knowledge development and dissemination in scholarly and practical aspects of services marketing and management. The Center will strive to be the leading institution of its kind dedicated to knowledge development and dissemination in the area of the services marketing and management.
Goals of the Center
The Center’s two focal areas of knowledge development and knowledge dissemination are summarized below in two broad areas of knowledge development and knowledge dissemination.
I. Knowledge Development Goals:
A. Stimulating and Encouraging Scholarly Interest
- To generate interest and curiosity in the area of services marketing and management among the faculty and Ph.D. students in the Department of Marketing so that topics within this area are considered a viable field of research.
- To generate interest and curiosity in the area of services among other departments in the College of Business as well as other departments within FAU so that topics within this area are considered a viable field of cross-disciplinary research.
- To invite leading experts in the field for presentations before faculty and students at FAU so as to generate interest in and knowledge about the field.
B. Encouraging and Supporting Scholarly Activity
- To support research projects in the area of services marketing and management that advance the current state of knowledge in the field.
- To support knowledge development efforts that lead to the recognition of the Center as a leading institution of research in the field of services marketing and management.
- To act as a bridge between researchers across various departments within FAU for executing cross-disciplinary research in the field of services marketing and management.
- To enable liaisons and networks with other institutions of higher learning as well as industry for knowledge development in the field.
II. Knowledge Dissemination Goals
A. Scholarly Dissemination
- To actively engage in knowledge dissemination through presentations of research supported by the Center at academic conferences and publications in refereed journals.
- To manage an active website with white papers and research for access by interested academics and practitioners.
- To develop and manage a working paper series of research activity at FAU.
B. Education and Training
- To provide support to faculty interested in developing and offering courses and modules in the fields classified within services marketing and management.
- To provide support for executive education in the area of services marketing and management.
- To conduct training sessions and seminars to interested practitioners.
Objectives and Strategic Activities of the Center
Objectives and Activities for Spurring Scholarly Interest and Research
- Provide research support award for projects and papers directly related to services marketing and management.
- Provide dissertation support award for Ph.D. students writing their dissertation thesis on topics directly related to services marketing and management of customer service.
- Provide registration funding for national services marketing and customer service management conferences.
- Maintain website with information on the activities of the Center, funding available for research, and links to various services marketing and management journals, conferences, and other events.
- Manage a Working Paper Series for projects and papers on areas within services marketing and management funded or otherwise supported by the Center.
- Establish a Seminar Series, which would include presentation of research by leading services experts from across the nation as well as presentations by FAU faculty.
Objectives and Activities for Education, Training, and Industry Partnerships
- The Center will actively seek to market itself as the leading Center of its kind for education, training, and workforce development within FAU and within the local business community in South Florida through the following activities:
- Support to faculty interested in developing services marketing and management courses and/or course modules for use within related courses (e.g., operations management, international business). Such support will include cover limited funding for pedagogical materials, consultations for the development of pedagogical materials, and expenses for guest speakers in classes.
- Provide training sessions on practical aspects of services marketing and management for interested members of the local business community.
- Create a network of interested members of the local business community to advise the Center as well as act as liaison between the Center and the business community for seeking sources of funding, development of training and workforce development programs, and for internships and placement of FAU undergraduate and graduate students interested in pursuing a career in services.
Faculty of the Center
Services Marketing & Customer Service:
Dr. Patricia Doney
Dr. James I. Gray
Dr. Gopalkrishnan R. Iyer
Dr. Paul S. Koku
Dr. Pradeep Korgaonkar
Dr. Tamara F. Mangleburg
Dr. Michael Mullen
Dr. C.M. Sashi
Dr. Eric Shaw
Dr. Allen Smith
Services Operations and Management:
Dr. Ravi Behara
Dr. Sunil Babbar