Career Outlook - Management Information Systems
Overview of Career Outlook
- Most new jobs in the modern economy will be heavily influenced by technology
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, career opportunities for MIS professionals are expected to expand rapidly from 2014-2024 due to a greater emphasis on cloud computing, the collection and storage of big data, more everyday items becoming connected to the Internet in what is commonly referred to as the “Internet of things,” and the continued demand for mobile computing.
- High salaries. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median salary for high-level information technology managers was $127,640 in 2014.
- Employment within computer and information technology occupations, including computer systems analysts, information security analysts and other computer professionals, is expected to increase up to 12 percent by 2024 (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- Seven of the top 20 jobs listed in “Best jobs in America” in 2015 were IT related (CNN Money). FAU ITOM graduates are trained and qualified for these types of jobs.
- Computer Systems Analyst is ranked #53 in the 100 Best Jobs of 2020 as ranked by US News and World Report
Here are a few more things you can do:
- Join the MIS student organization, Management Information Systems Association (MISA)
- Sign up for the jobs and internship email distribution list
- Complete an internship, whether or not it is for course credit
- Register with the FAU Career Center
- Learn about industry needs and take electives that focus on them
- Talk to your MIS professors! We are here to help you and answer your questions
- Our graduates are among the most versatile and mobile professionals, transferrable among industries and locations.
- Graduates of our programs have been placed in some of the top firms in the country including Microsoft, Citrix, and Office Depot
- To see the recent job placement of our graduates, visit our "Where are they now?" page
- To learn more about our graduates and hear their success stories, visit our Graduates page