Traditional MBA - Management Information Systems
Management Information Systems (MIS) is a discipline and a profession that brings information and communication technologies to businesses and society. By applying information and communications technologies and systems, MIS solves real business problems and gives competitive advantage to firms. MIS focuses on the concepts and tools necessary for analyzing, designing, planning, developing, and managing organizational information resources.
- Students applying to the MBA program are required to have a bachelor's degree in any field of study
- An upper division bachelor's degree Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher is one of the elements evaluated to determine admission to the MBA program
- Students are required to provide either the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) exam score and meet the minimum required scores for admissions
- You can apply online for the Traditional MBA program with a concentration in Management Information Systems on the FAU Graduate College website by clicking APPLY NOW
The MBA is 43-55 credits: 31-43 credits core courses (see course list below). 12 credits may be waived for students with an undergraduate business degree or for students that have taken equivalent undergraduate business courses
- *ACG - 6027 Financial Accounting
- *FIN - 6406 Financial Management
- *MAR - 6055 Marketing Functions and Processes
- *QMB - 6603 Data Analysis for Managers
- *Course can be waived if student has taken undergraduate course equivalent
- BUL - 6455 Business Law and Applied Ethics
- ECP - 6705 Advanced Managerial Economics
- GEB - 6215 Graduate Business Communication
- GEB - 6931 Executive Forum
- MAN - 6296 Leadership and Organizations
- ACG - 6315 Advanced Analysis and Application of Accounting Data
- FIN - 6806 Advanced Financial Management
- ISM - 6026 Management Information Systems and Technology
- MAN - 6501 Operations Management
- MAN - 6937 Global Environment of Management
- MAR - 6815 Advanced Marketing Management
- MAN - 6721 Global Business Strategy
- 12 credits electives/specialization
To obtain a MIS track certificate student needs to take all twelve elective credits from the list of five courses below.
- ISM 6508 Web-Based Business Development
- ISM 6316 Information Technology Project and Change Management
- ISM 6328 Management of Information Assurance and Security
- ISM 6368 Enterprise Information Technology Service Management
- ISM 6509 Information Technology Sourcing Management
TECHNOLOGY TOOLS USED IN MIS COURSES
- ISM 6508 (Web Business Development): Microsoft Excel & Wix.com
- ISM 6316 (IT Project Mgmt.): Microsoft Project
- ISM 6368 (IT Service Mgmt.): Microsoft Office 365
- ISM 6509 (IT Sourcing): UpWork.com
- Most new jobs in the modern economy will be heavily influenced by technology
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, career opportunities for MIS professionals are expected to expand rapidly from 2014-2024 due to a greater emphasis on cloud computing, the collection and storage of big data, more everyday items becoming connected to the Internet in what is commonly referred to as the “Internet of things,” and the continued demand for mobile computing.
- High salaries. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median salary for high-level information technology managers was $127,640 in 2014.
- Employment within computer and information technology occupations, including computer systems analysts, information security analysts and other computer professionals, is expected to increase up to 12 percent by 2024 (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- Seven of the top 20 jobs listed in “Best jobs in America” in 2015 were IT related (CNN Money). FAU ITOM graduates are trained and qualified for these types of jobs.
- Computer Systems Analyst is ranked #53 in the 100 Best Jobs of 2020 as ranked by US News and World Report.
Here are a few more things you can do:
- Join the MIS student organization, Management Information Systems Association (MISA)
- Sign up for the jobs and internship email distribution list
- Complete an internship, whether or not it is for course credit
- Register with the FAU Career Center
- Learn about industry needs and take electives that focus on them
- Talk to your MIS professors! We are here to help you and answer your questions!