Executive Master of Taxation (EMTAX) Program Information
Executive Master of Taxation (EMTAX)
The Executive Master of Taxation (EMTAX) degree program was designed to meet the demand for tax specialists in public accounting, private sector, and the government. Its objectives include rigorous development of:
- Technical competence
- An appreciation of tax policy
- A conceptual understanding of taxation
- An awareness of the responsibilities of a tax professional
The courses of the EMTAX program may be used to satisfy the education requirements of the CPA and other professional licenses. The degree program is offered by the Office of Executive Education, a department in FAU’s AACSB-accredited and nationally recognized College of Business.
The EMTAX program provides an environment where a concentrated effort between professor and student results in the mastery of all the components of a graduate-level tax curriculum. The goal is to ensure students graduate with technical, analytical, communication, interpersonal, and lifelong learning skills.
The program allows participants to continue their professional responsibilities while earning a graduate degree. The curriculum allows non-accounting undergraduate degree students to complete the program by taking two additional courses built into the schedule. Prerequisites are not required outside of the program. Each cohort begins and progresses through the program sharing the same sequence of classes and educational experiences.
Upon completion of the EMTAX program, students will have earned the Master of Taxation degree.
Program Start Dates
The program is offered twice per calendar year:
- Summer semester (May)
- Fall semester (August)
The program is designed with busy tax professionals in mind. Students can earn their degrees in just over 2 years (seven semesters) while maintaining quality professional and personal lives.
To accommodate working professionals during the hectic tax seasons, no courses are offered during the spring semesters. Tax students do not need to worry about balancing demanding work schedules with course assignment deadlines.
- $900 per credit hour
- 30 - 36 credits total - depending on academic and professional background
- $27,000 - $32,400
- Tuition is the same for Florida Residents, Out-of-State Residents & International Students.
- Full-service, all-inclusive:
Breakfast and lunch, student ID, parking e-permit, review classes and recorded classes (as needed), graduation cap and gown and banquet.
- Financial Aid and Tuition Assistance are accepted. Tuition is waived until financial aid is disbursed.
- Self Pay? We offer a convenient payment plan.
Cutting edge technology in online learning offers students convenience and flexibility while pursuing their education. Students may complete the program through web-based distance learning without ever visiting the campus. The lectures can be live streamed over the Internet to a PC, Mac, or mobile device, or viewed any time during the week. Students who desire a more traditional classroom experience may participate in the optional live lectures, once a month, held on Saturday mornings in the state-of-the-art Davie West Building on the FAU Davie Campus.
The pace and intensity of the program are balanced to provide students with optimal opportunities to assimilate knowledge. A variety of learning methods are employed throughout the program. Case studies, computer simulations of challenging, competitive business situations, problem-solving discussions, team presentations, individual study, lectures, visual presentations, guest speakers, and assigned readings are regularly used. Students also complete research and analytical studies to develop strategic thinking abilities.
- Live-virtual weekly every Saturday
- 100% Online (asynchronous)
- Optional in person,once-a-month
- Combination of live-virtual, online, and in-person
- Program Length: Between 1 ½ - 2 ½ years
- Semesters: 12 weeks (Summer); 16 weeks (Fall)
- Saturdays live-streaming
- Classes are between: 9:00 AM – 1:15 PM
- Weekly class lecture duration: 1 hour and 15 minutes per course
- Recorded lectures available 24/7
- Optional in-person lectures held once a month at the Davie West campus
For updates on the university’s COVID-19 policies, please visit here.