Massive Growth of Digital Marketing
- Information Systems and Web and Social media connectivity have become a key consideration for Marketing and Sales professionals and executives today.
- Digital marketing is a booming field. Companies are spending record budgets on advertising on the Internet, mobile, and social media platforms.
- There is a growing need for highly trained professionals who understand both information system and marketing to strategize, implement, and take full advantage of the digital media to accomplish the marketing goals of a company or institution.
- According to Econsultancy, 77% of businesses plan to increase their digital marketing budgets (February 2015).
- According to McKinsey Global Survey, November 2011, “Digital media and online tools remain a largely untapped resource for companies most marketing executives agree that their online presence is important and that digital tools provide their companies with a major opportunity, but few are familiar with the structural steps required to benefit from selling online or engaging consumers through new technologies such as social media.”
- According to the McKinsey Global Institute report, The Social Economy: Unlocking Value and Productivity Through Social Technologies, "Companies that rely heavily on consumer insights for product development and marketing purposes have an opportunity to create value by engaging with consumers on social media and monitoring social media conversations to generate consumer insights and market intelligence." (p. 3, July 2012)
- See some recent business articles about Digital Marketing:
Digital Marketing Concepts
By completing this minor or certificate, you will gain interdisciplinary experience and knowledge in both Marketing and Information Technology, including:
- Marketing, Information Systems and Web and Social media vocabularies and terminologies used in the organization’s digital marketing strategies
- Use of specialized technologies to meet specific organization needs such as marketing research, web analytics, data mining, and search engine optimization (SEO)
- Use of technology, including hardware and software, to ensure data collection, storage, analysis and reporting of information
- Use specialized software in the creation of digital products, such as record tracking, release of information, coding, grouping, registries, billing, quality improvement, and imaging
- Apply policies and procedures to the use of networks, including intranet and Internet applications to facilitate the exchange of electronic records
- Apply knowledge of database architecture and design (such as data dictionary, data modeling, data warehousing)
- Query and generate reports to facilitate information retrieval
- Design and generate reports using appropriate software
- Develop the ability to gain insights and drive recommendations through data analysis
- Protect data integrity and validity using software or hardware technology