Registering for Classes
Register for classes early to ensure you get the schedule you want and can graduate on time!
When can I register?
Registration for most students is based on credits earned. You can find the registration date schedule at the link below:
I am having trouble registering for classes. What can I do?
Click the button above to download a narrated presentation that will help you troubleshoot registration issues, or view the registration errors info further on this page.
Click the links below to jump to a topic.
- Speak with an academic advisor.
- View the registration schedule to find out when you can register. Registration dates and times are based on credits earned.
- Download the instructions to register for courses through your MyFAU Account.
- Once logged in to MyFAU, you can access information about:
- Adding and dropping classes
- Dates and deadlines
- Registration status and holds
- Once logged in to MyFAU, you can access information about:
FAU offers a variety of instructional methods to accommodate our students. The College of Business currently offers traditional in-person courses, fully online courses, mixed courses where attendance is partially in person and partially online, and courses where students have the option to attend in person or stream the lecture from home. You can download a description of all instructional methods currently in use by the College of Business at the link below.
- Prerequisite/Test Score
- You are missing either a course OR test score that must be completed before the course for which you are trying to register. If you believe you have met the pre-requisite requirement, contact your advisor.
- Field of Study Restriction - Major
- You are a pre-business student and the course you are trying to register for is restricted to students declared in a College of Business major
- OR you are trying to register for the wrong section of MAC2233; you must choose a "B" section
- OR you are trying to register for a section of ACG2021 or ACG2071 reserved for future ACCT majors; choose a different section
- OR if you are trying to register for an online section that is reserved for online students until a later date. Learn more.
- Campus Restriction
- You are trying to register for a course that is reserved for online students until a later date. Learn more.
- You do not have enough credits earned to take this course. If your advisor told you to take this course, contact your advisor as you may need an authorization.
- This section is full. If there are spaces available, you can add yourself to the wait list; otherwise, you will need to choose a different section or check back to see if spaces become available.
- Open -- Reserved for Waitlist
- There is an open seat in this section, but it is reserved for the first person on the wait list. If there are spaces available, you can add yourself to the wait list; otherwise, you will need to choose a different section or check back to see if spaces become available.
- Departmental Permission
- This section is reserved for students in certain programs or who meet certain requirements. Click the course title to find out what department to contact if you have questions (likely in the course description tab).
- Note: The advising office cannot provide departmental permission authorization.
If you are receiving an error message:
- Check first that you are not trying to register for a restricted fully online business course and review the common error messages above as those may answer your question. If you still need assistance, continue below.
- Meet with an academic advisor.
- If you have recently met with an academic advisor, you can e-mail the last advisor
with whom you met OR you can e-mail COBAdvising@fau.edu:
- Use "Error Message (insert your last name and Z#)" as the subject.
- In the body of the e-mail, include:
- First and last name
- Your Z#
- Your major
- The EXACT error message that you see when you attempt to register
- The course prefix and number (i.e. MAN 3025)
- The 5 digit CRN (this tells us exactly which section you are trying to register for)
You may submit information for more than one course as long as the courses are for the same term. Please do not send email requests to multiple advisors. Please allow time for advisor response.
Most (but not all) upper division online business courses are reserved for declared majors (not pre-business) in the Online Bachelor of Business Administration (OBBA) program until:
Spring 24 Date:
November 27, 2023
I am not an OBBA student; when can I register for upper division fully online business
It depends on the course. The easiest way to know is to check the course schedule. Click on the name of the course and then click the "Course Description" tab. You may see the following message:
"Non-Online-BBA majors register on [DATE]."
If you do not see the message, the course is open on your regular registration date and time.
I want to take a fully online lower division course; is this restricted?
If you are a pre-business student and your campus is declared as “Distance Learning,” you should not see any campus restrictions.
If you are not listed as “Distance Learning” campus, there may be a campus restriction. Click the on the name of the course and then click the “Restrictions” tab. You may see the following message: “Must be enrolled in one of the following Campuses: Distance Learning (76).” If the message is there, choose a different section. If not, you should be able to register.
I am seeing a “campus restriction” or “field of study restriction—major” error. Why?
The campus restriction means that only students declared as fully online (Distance Learning Campus) can register for the course. For upper division business courses, this restriction releases on the date listed above. “Field of study restriction—major” may come up as well since the upper division courses are currently reserved only for OBBA students (as opposed to online majors in non-business programs).
Where can I find my regular registration date and time?
The registration schedule is available at the following link and is based on how many credits you have currently earned: https://www.fau.edu/registrar/registration/schedule.php
There are many different types of classes on the schedule; how do I tell the difference?
The registrar’s office has a guide to all of the different instructional method types which you can find at the following link: http://www.fau.edu/registrar/courses/Instru_Method.php
The course I want to take does not open to me until a late date; what time can I register?
A staff member will begin opening the restricted fully online courses sometime after 8am. The process should be complete by noon, but there is no way to know the exact time your particular course will be opened since it has to be done manually. We recommend you try to register every so often throughout the morning until you get into the class. As long as you encounter "campus restriction,” the course is not open yet.
I am "pre-business online." Is this the same as being an OBBA major?
No. Only students declared as Online Accounting, Online Economics, Online Finance, Online Management, Online Marketing, or Online Hospitality are official OBBA majors and have priority access to restricted upper division online business courses. However, you may have access to certain lower division online courses that are reserved for future OBBA students only.
How can I be declared in one of the above fully online majors?
Speak with an advisor to find out if this is an option for you.
After being admitted by the registrar's office as a non-degree-seeking student (click here for info on the non-degree application), send an e-mail to COBAdvising@fau.edu from your FAU e-mail account to request permits to register for your classes. Be sure to include:
- Full name
- FAU Z#
- Term you plan to register
- Course you plan to take
- A copy of your unofficial transcripts showing you have met FAU's pre-requisites to take that course. (Note: unofficial transcripts will not be retained on file.)
Non-degree registration usually begins the week before the term begins; view the academic calendar for specific registration dates.
Important: Should you decide to become a degree-seeking student, a maximum of 9 credits of coursework taken as non-degree-seeking can be counted towards a degree.
- Students can request a late add during the second week of a full term course.
- The College of Business does not permit late adds after the end of the second week of the term.
- The College of Business does not permit late adds into any half term or intersession courses.
- The course must count towards a program requirement in order for a late add to be approved. Late adds are not approved for courses that you do not need for your degree.
- You must be eligible to take the course that term. If you are missing a pre-requisite or the course is otherwise restricted to you in some way, a late add would not be approved.
- The instructor must agree to allow you to late add the class. Instructors have the right to deny a late add request.
Process to Late Add
- Visit https://www.fau.edu/registrar/records/late-add/.
- Review the information, especially as it pertains to financial aid and potential late fees.
- Click on "Undergraduate Late Add."
- Complete the form, save it to your computer as a PDF, and e-mail it to the instructor of the class from your FAU e-mail account.
Include in your e-mail that if the instructor is willing to accept you into the course specified above, they should forward your form to COBAdvising@fau.edu. If you qualify to take the course, our office will then send it on to the registrar's office for processing.