Public Safety Leadership Development
The Public Safety Leadership Development Certificate Program is specifically designed to meet the Leadership Development needs of South Florida’s public safety agencies. Based on FAU’s popular Leadership Boot Camp program, FAU sought input from numerous South Florida public safety agencies through a series of focus groups and surveys. The curriculum combines the most important issues in leadership with a focus on public safety. Individuals who work in the areas of law enforcement, fire, corrections, 911 telecommunications, emergency management, emergency medical, and support services are encouraged to attend.
The Public Safety Leadership Development Certificate Program is an 8-day course designed for the next generation of South Florida public safety leaders. Participants will develop crucial leadership skills and behaviors that will enhance their own careers, their agencies, and the communities they serve.
Led by current and former public safety leaders and executive leadership experts, this course will employ active learning techniques including case studies and simulations, collaborative tasks, lectures, readings, and participant presentations.
- Understand leadership styles within the agency and define one’s own style
- Improve written and oral presentation skills
- Increase ability to resolve conflict in a positive manner
- Gain confidence with respect to crucial and difficult conversations
- Improve both internal and external levels of customer service
- Explore the importance of ethical leadership
- Better manage performance standards and accountability
- Gain insight into the “big picture” of Public Safety, including budget, human resources, operations, etc.
- Learn to build strong teams and to lead change
- Build a network of colleagues to call upon for best practices and advice
- Be part of a unique alumni group with access to events and resources through FAU’s International Center for Crisis Management and Field Hospital Deployment
- Friday, April 6 Morning: Leadership vs. Management and DiSC Self Assessment
- Friday, April 6 Afternoon: Teambuilding Exercises
- Friday, April 13, Morning: Business Communications - Presenting Yourself as a Leader through Writing
- Friday, April 13, Afternoon: Leading Different Generations
- Friday, April 20, Morning: Ethics and Decision Making
- Friday, April 20, Afternoon: Internal Affairs Panel and Chiefs Panel
- Friday, April 27, Morning: Leading & Communicating Under Pressure and Through Crisis
- Friday, April 27, Afternoon: Managing Performance Standards and Accountability; Difficult Conversations
- Friday, May 4, Morning: Strategic Planning & Goal Setting
- Friday, May 4, Afternoon: Public Safety Fitting into the Big Picture, Conversations with a City Manager
- Friday, May 11, Morning: The Buisness of Public Safety - Internal & External Influences on Budgets and How your Decisions Impact the Agency
- Friday, May 11, Afternoon: Business Communications - Public Speaking
- Friday, May 18, Morning: Creative Problem Solving/Identifying Challenges and Opportunities
- Friday, May 18, Afternoon: Challenge Course & Teambuilding to Take Back to Agencies
- Friday, June 1, Morning: Leading Change and Innovation
- Friday, June 1, Afternoon: Individual presentations, Closing Events
- *Subject to change
Public Safety Leadership Development
- Format: Fridays
- Dates: April 6, 13, 20, 27, May 4, 11, 18, June 1, 2018
- Time: 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Hours: 56 Hours - PDUs / 5.6 CEUs
- Sessions: 8
- Location: Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton Campus
- Fee: $1,995 - Includes materials, lunch and parking.
Florida Atlantic University is accredited by the Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI) as an Approved Provider.
All Leadership programs are eligible for re-certification credits by the HR Certification Institute.
Florida Atlantic University is accredited by the Project Management Institute (PMI) as a Registered Education Provider (R.E.P.).
Select Leadership programs are accredited by PMI and eligble for Professional Development Units (PDUs).