- Concentration in Business Analytics
- Concentration in Cybersecurity
- Course Information
- ITOM Internship for Credit Programs
- Program Information
Business Analytics Concentration
Overview of Business Analytics Concentration
- Business Analytics involves information technologies, applications, and practices for collection, integration, analysis, and presentation of business data and information. Business Analytics allows managers to extract information from the data to make decisions regarding operations, sales and marketing, and research and development of products and services.
- In addition to choosing one of the required MIS Major paths (Information Technology Path or Information & Knowledge Path), students who major in MIS are also able to choose one of our two optional Concentrations: Business Analytics or Cybersecurity
- To complete this undergraduate MIS major concentration in business analytics for both
the Information Technology Path & the Information & Knowledge Management Path, all
four courses below are required with minimum grades of "C" required in all four courses:
- ISM 4212 - Database Management Systems
- ISM 3116 - Introduction to Business Analytics and Big Data
- ISM 4117 - Data Mining and Predictive Analytics
- ISM 4403 - Advanced Business Analytics
- Additional details about program courses can be found in the following document:
Technology Tools Used
- Interested in learning more about the tools we use in the MIS courses?
- Click here to view a list of all the tools/software/programs we use in our MIS Courses
Course Spotlight Videos
- Interested in learning more about a specific Management Information Systems & Operations Management Course?
- Click here to check out our course spotlight videos and get an inside look into what goes on in each of our courses
Career Outlook for Business Analytics
Industry Branches Benefiting from Business Analytics
- Retail - customer behavior and shopping basket
- Target marketing
- Fraud identification and protection
- Health care and genetic research
- Drug interaction and medical diagnostics
- Web and e-commerce
- Social Media behavior and link analysis
- Loan and credit card approvals
- Customer support and customer service
Job Prospects for Business Analytics Major Holders
- Whatever your field of interest and career is, chances are you will benefit from your Business Analytics Major.
- Business Analytics is one of the fastest growing business job specializations as a result of the extensive use of electronic databases for record keeping and electronic commerce in the digital economy.
- Forbes penned 2016 “The Year of Information on Demand”.
- According to a Wall Street Journal article, companies, barraged with data from the Web and other sources, want employees who can both sift through the information and help solve business problems. As the use of analytics grows quickly, companies will need employees who understand the data.
- In 2012, The New York Times reported a high demand for data consultants to “help businesses make sense of an explosion of data”.
- A May 2011 study from McKinsey & Co. found that by 2018, the U.S. will face a shortage of 1.5 million managers who can use data to shape business decisions.
Existing Professions Benefiting from Skills in Business Analytics
- Marketing, advertising, sales, retail managers
- Customer service and churn managers
- Web usage and web behavior analysts
- Human resource managers
- Social scientists and social workers
- Physicists, chemists, actuaries, accountants, fraud detectors
- Law enforcement officials
- Criminal justice professionals
- Healthcare professionals - Providers, Insurance representatives, Researchers
- Financial managers
- Geographical and GPS analysts
- And many others
- Our graduates are among the most versatile and mobile professionals, transferrable among industries and locations.
- Graduates of our programs have been placed in some of the top firms in the country including Microsoft, Citrix, and Office Depot
- To see the recent job placement of our graduates, visit our "Where are they now?" page
- To learn more about our graduates and hear their success stories, visit our Graduates page