Certificates and Special Programs
The following information pertains to undergraduate certificates offered for academic credit in the College of Business. For COB non-credit certificates offered by the Office of Executive Education, please click here.
What is an undergraduate certificate?
Certificates are noted on the student's transcript but they do not require the completion of a bachelor's degree to be recorded. In addition, students receive a document to note the completion of the program.
The number of courses required to complete a certificate varies depending on the program, but is typically much fewer than the number of courses for a major. It is comparable in length to pursuing a minor, but unlike a minor, a certificate is available to non-degree-seeking students who meet the minimum pre-requisites for the coursework.
For degree-seeking students, a certificate should be thought of as an optional direction for elective credit. Degree-seeking students are not encouraged to pursue a certificate if it will extend their graduation or result in an excess credit hour surcharge.
The following applies to all business certificates:
The certificate is open to all students. College of Business certificates require 100% residency: all courses must be taken at FAU. All students must complete an application for certificate at the end of their second-to-last term at FAU in order for the certificate to be awarded. Non-degree-seeking students can download the application for certificate and e-mail the completed form to COBAdvising@fau.edu. Degree-seeking students must complete their application for certificate with an academic advisor during their application for degree preapproval meeting. For degree-seeking students, if all certificate courses were completed with or before the degree, then a certificate cannot be processed once the degree is awarded.
- 100% of the certificate coursework must be completed at FAU.
- Courses used for a certificate must be completed with a grade of "C" or better.
- All students must complete an application for certificate at the end of their second-to-last term at FAU in order for the certificate to be awarded.
- Degree-seeking students who complete all coursework alongside their bachelor's degree must apply for the cerificate and their bachelor's degree at the same time.
Other policies may apply. Refer to the university catalog or speak to a business advisor for more information.
What business certificates are available?
- Business Analytics
- Club Management
- Cybersecurity: IT
- Casino and Gaming Industry Management
- Digital Marketing
- Financial Technology
- Healthcare Information Systems
- Hospitality and Tourism Management
- International Business
- Meetings and Event Management
- Risk Management and Insurance
Some certificates are also available as minors. For a list of required courses for each business minor and certificate, click here.
How do I declare a business certificate and begin taking classes?
- Submit a non-degree-seeking application through the registrar's office.
- Meet with a College of Business advisor. Bring unofficial transcripts from any institutions you have previously attended.
- Speak to your academic advisor (in the college that houses your major if different than business) to find out how many electives you need to complete for your program and whether a certificate might be a good option for you.
- Review the available business certificates to see which one may interest you.
- Meet with a College of Business advisor.
Complete your application for certificate with an advisor during your application for degree preapproval meeting at the end of your second-to-last semester.